Restitution is the money the judge orders the offender to pay to the victim to compensate the victim for losses related to the crime. Restitution is part of the offender’s sentence or dispositoin and can be ordered in both adult and juvenile cases after the offender is found guilty or pleads guilty. The amount of restitution ordered by the Judge depends on the victim’s crime related expenses and the offender’s ability to pay. For more information about restitution please reivew the Department of Justice Restitution brochure below:

If you would like to make a request for restitution in a criminal matter, please complete the following Victim Affidavit of Restitution form: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AFFIDAVIT OF RESTITUTION FORM.

Please be certain to execute this document in front of a notary and submit it to our offices as quickly as possible. If you need time to gather the necessary information, please be sure to notify us that a restitution request will be forthcoming. Please mail the completed Affidavit of Restitution to Carson, Clelland & Schreder, 6300 Shingle Creek Parkway, Suite 305, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55430.

Please understand that restitution in criminal cases is limited by a variety of factors. We will submit any and all requests for restitution received to the Court for consideration but cannot guarantee that restitution will be ordered as requested. Restitution does not preclude you from proceeding in a civil venue, and you may wish to consult with an attorney about your legal rights.

Becky Gaffer
Victim/Witness Coordinator
(763) 231-8847